TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

NiKaSil lined cylinders

spider said...

Yes, Nikasil not a removeable " liner " to speak but the steel " sleeve " that is pressed into the aluminum cyclinder that has the Nikasil coating is removeable.
And my point was that if you wanted to " add displacement " the only option without stroking the motor is to replace the liner.

As I understand it there is no liner in the stock motor, just Nicasil plated aluminum. The bore can be enlarged by simply boring out the aluminum cylinder and re-plating.
2010 XC
D&D pipes
Lloydz VM1-DR cams
Lloydz filter
Lloydz timing gear
Lloydz modded ECM

bikendad said...
As I understand it there is no liner in the stock motor, just Nicasil plated aluminum. The bore can be enlarged by simply boring out the aluminum cylinder and re-plating.

That is correct.  I guess a little is confusing with the terms.  Nikasil is a lining, a process, kinda like chrome.  It's not a liner or sleeve which would be a 3D part that you could put a part number on.

The Vic Shop, Inc.
Adel, Iowa

Vicbuilder said...

That is correct.  I guess a little is confusing with the terms.  Nikasil is a lining, a process, kinda like chrome.  It's not a liner or sleeve which would be a 3D part that you could put a part number on.

Ok, I guess i'm a bit confused.
When I looked at my front cylinder, the lower portion of my  cylinder, the part " without " the fins sure looked like your average " sleeve " to me.
I'll have to look harder at the rear jug tomorrow.
I am aware that the Nikasil is a " coating ", I was under the impression that it was a steel sleeve that was coated.
No matter, if the Nikasil if messed up you need to bore then re-coat/re-line the cylinder or replace the jug if you are not going with a big bore kit.

Riding : 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

bikendad said...

I've been wrong once before, just ask my wife Wink

Riding : 2014 Indian Chief Vintage

Here is pic of the bottom your cylinders.   Note the area I marked with red.  That is the spigot of the cylinder and about the bottom 3rd of piston travel. This one happens to be a steel liner for a big bore.  On a stock cylinder that would have been aluminum cast with the rest of the cylinder as one unit and would look almost identical.  On a stock cylinder the inner portion would be where the Niaksil coating is (where the piston is traveling of course).  So you can't tell from the outside what bore the motor is, or if it is aftermarket steel lined or not, its all aluminum out there.

The Vic Shop, Inc.
Adel, Iowa

old i know, but cold + snow = research time. just read on BMW bikes how durable nikasil is. usually outlasting pistons + rings and its recommended not to hone or bore ever, the crosshatch just stays there. unless more CC's are wanted of course. its been around a long time as well as similar coatings and cylinders are said to be very stable + dissapate heat better than iron liners

vegas_8-ball said...
yes

iabob said...
I do too!

FlaMike said...
I didn't but do now.

I know now, too.

Last update on February 7 2014, 9:17 pm by UK_Paul.

rodhotter said...

just read on BMW bikes how durable nikasil is. usually outlasting pistons + rings and its recommended not to hone or bore ever, the crosshatch just stays there. unless more CC's are wanted of course.

If it's applied properly, I suspect so. I had a Nikasil lined Kaw 1200 that lost the coating in two cyliners at 14k miles.  A local place replated and I was told they guaranteed their work the life of the bike. I only had it another 20k miles or so after that, but it had no further issues.  

Last update on February 8 2014, 11:48 am by saddlebag.

UK_Paul said...

I know now, too.

I too now know  tee hee hee!
it's the simple things in life a'int it? 

I think this brings us full circle to Lloydz's advice about warming a cold engine vs the break in recommended by others. His statement that the nikasil treated cylinders do not break in the same way as an iron liner and that the aggressive break in suggested for most engines is just plain wrong for a treated aluminum cylinder sure puts things in perspective for me.

Central Illinois
New 150 photo NewBike150_zps77e0488c.jpg photo States_to_2013_129_zps23e5d121.jpg