TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Brake Light Modulator

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I am not finding much on the topic... I would like to add a brake light modulator to my cross country tour, and I could use a little advice on the best place to tap into the wiring, and which wire powers the brake LEDs, top and bottom? I'm guessing the LED brake lights have one wire that supplies low volt current for the tail lights, and increases the voltage to brighten the LEDs for brake lights? So, if any one has done this mod, what wire did you tap, and what modulator did you buy? I kike the rhythm of the Kissan, but I'd settle for one of the cheaper BackOff models. Any help would be appreciated!!
It sounds like you don't have a test meter so don't go any farther till you get one. Never do electiral work with out one.
Now look in Kuryakan and your find some good ones you can look for there how to install instruction while your there
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Metric/Lighting/Controller...
Warning

Adding aftermarket electrical componets will void your warrenty.

That being said.

If you do not know what your doing find someone who does.

You will find many posts about people adding flashers to their Victorys and then not having cruise control.

I had my Vision Trunk lights made into active Marker,Turn ,Brake lights using
a Tri-Star XP module and adding the Victory Lighted Trunk Badge as a Brake light.

This was done by my Dealer's service Dept and it took several hours.
1979 Triumph Bonnieville sport
2007 Triumph America Drowned Aug 28 2011
2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium Classic Drowned Aug 28 2011
All Black
2011 Vision Tour Silver and Black
Thanks for the replies guys! Let me explain that I do have a multi-meter, and I know how to use it. I just didn’t want to start stabbing wires at random if someone would be able to tell me where and what color to look for. I guess I should have asked where I can find a wiring diagram…

I have experience installing the brake modulators in other bikes, but not with LED lights. They are a different animal, and I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that they can cause problems with the Cruise Control, or that they “don’t work” on the Victory. I tend to think that that one CAN fit them on our bikes, but ya have to get the right parts, and install them correctly. What works on other bikes, won’t always work on the Victory LED brake circuit. So, that is why I asked if anyone has done this yet, and had success?

Also, I had not considered that a brake light modulator would void the bike’s warrantee. What about other electrical devices like after-market HID kits, stereo components, horns and the like?
Quote:
Originally posted by: Kris

Thanks for the replies guys! Let me explain that I do have a multi-meter, and I know how to use it. I just didn’t want to start stabbing wires at random if someone would be able to tell me where and what color to look for. I guess I should have asked where I can find a wiring diagram…

I have experience installing the brake modulators in other bikes, but not with LED lights. They are a different animal, and I remember reading somewhere here on the forum that they can cause problems with the Cruise Control, or that they “don’t work” on the Victory. I tend to think that that one CAN fit them on our bikes, but ya have to get the right parts, and install them correctly. What works on other bikes, won’t always work on the Victory LED brake circuit. So, that is why I asked if anyone has done this yet, and had success?

Also, I had not considered that a brake light modulator would void the bike’s warrantee. What about other electrical devices like after-market HID kits, stereo components, horns and the like?

Grew up hot wireing cars bikes phones.

Had Triumphs Lucas wiring used to give me nightmares.

Bought my firt brand new Truck from a Ford dealer in 1981.

Had a funny noise under the hood being confident I could do anything with a machine I opened the hood and discovered I had been wrong.

There were things in there with electrical connections I had never seen before.

The engineering was beyond me.

Victorys are like that Ford they run great if you don't mess with the wires.

Good Luck
Last update on July 1 2012, 4:39 pm by Trekwolf164.
1979 Triumph Bonnieville sport
2007 Triumph America Drowned Aug 28 2011
2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium Classic Drowned Aug 28 2011
All Black
2011 Vision Tour Silver and Black

I log about 20,000 miles a year on 2 wheels in heavy city traffic and modulators and LOUD horns that make folks poop their pants have saved me tons of times!

I run a 15.00 modulator off ebay... It's super tiny, easy to install and does 4X really fast and then 4 slow, then holds steady.  It's weather sealed and only has 3 wires to hookup.  It only works on LEDs though... Had to replace my old bulb with a LED bulb from Pep Boys.  Search for zowwie438 on ebay.

I also run a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator and a 100W stutter horn.

++MCSafety guy

mcsafety said...

I log about 20,000 miles a year on 2 wheels in heavy city traffic and modulators and LOUD horns that make folks poop their pants have saved me tons of times!

I run a 15.00 modulator off ebay... It's super tiny, easy to install and does 4X really fast and then 4 slow, then holds steady.  It's weather sealed and only has 3 wires to hookup.  It only works on LEDs though... Had to replace my old bulb with a LED bulb from Pep Boys.  Search for zowwie438 on ebay.

I also run a Signal Dynamics headlight modulator and a 100W stutter horn.

++MCSafety guy

Thanks for the tip!  I figure for $15, it is worth a try.  I ordered one yesterday. Smile

Okay, I finally finished this job! I ordered a brake light flasher from Custom Dynamics. Here is the link:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorcycle_brake_lig...

I bought the "Universal" listed about half way down the page. The others are HD model specific. It was priced about the same as many of the other brands, but what "Sold" me was that they have tested it on the Victory bikes, and works with the CAN bus wiring and it does not break the cruise control. I also like that it has 9 different flash patterns to choose from! I have it soldered in to both the tail and trunk lights and it works perfectly. If you want to try adding this to your bike, the brake light wire is white and pink.

Thanks for the info Kris. Seriously considering this unit.  Did you have to splice in twice to get the trunk and tail lights to both work? Where in the wiring bundle did you tap in?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

2012 XCT.

fwyatt said...

Thanks for the info Kris. Seriously considering this unit.  Did you have to splice in twice to get the trunk and tail lights to both work? Where in the wiring bundle did you tap in?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

2012 XCT.

I did have to splice into the wiring twice, once for the tail light, and once for the trunk. I removed both saddle bags, both side panels and the seat. Just under the seat, there is a large wire bundle that goes towards the back. If you open it up and remove some black tape, you will find two white and pink wires. Stab them with your tester to find out which one lights up when you hit the brakes. One will, one won't. Cut the one that has power on it. I tested them with the key on and the engine off. The trunk wire is easy. Tap into it up stream from the cable bundle connector under the left side cover. I had to solder a short jumper wire from that connector up to the other bundle so both wires going to the lights get power from the flasher module output wire. Since the Custom Dynamics flash module has 9 flash patterns to choose from, I mounted it under the right side panel so it would be easy to get to (without having to remove the seat) to change the settings. I soldered and shrink wrapped the connections, and retaped the wire bundles for neatness. It was a fun and easy mod!