TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

tires?

the-outcast said...

I am having wear isues with my front tire. elite 3. What dose everyone run for presures.

I'm riding a Vision.  We use the same tires.  I run 38 psi in the front and 41 psi in the rear.  I currently have the stock Elite 3's on and will be changing very soon with a little better than 12k on them.  A buddy just put Bridgestones on his XC and he really likes them.  I have been hearing good things about the Metzler 888 which is new.  I will be putting on Michelin Commander II tires to see how they perform.  

likes this.

i guess my 2 cents worth is that where you do most of your riding matters as to the type of tire you get,i had a vulcan 1600 witch weighs in about the same as my cct,it came with bridgestones and honestly a hated them ,they felt like stones did get good milage out of them but when i switches to the 880's man what a difference i felt alot more confident on the bike  i ran 40/38 lbs seemed to be the best # for air pressure.out of 4 sets of 880's i averaged 10-12000mi on the rear and 2x that on the front i had put a new michelin commander 2 on the rear and only put on a few hundred miles on it before i sold her and got my cct but it did leave a good inpression on me and the word is they last a little longer than the metz,personally i don't like the stones i think they are a little too hard for the kind of riding i do,if i lived in the praries yes but in the twisties ...not .the way i look at it is my life is on 2 tiny contact patches so i want the best adhesion i can get,iif i spend a few hundred more a year and have a good traction it's worth it .and as for car tires absoloutly never they were not designed for bikes wicth have a dual compound rubber and god forbid, did anyone ever wonder what would happen if you were involved in a wreck and they notice your bike with car tires,i think your insurance carrier just may deny your claim or even worse..... we all know how nasty it can get out there with some cagers and for me i want every advange i can have. just my 2 cents...ride safeSmile ps.and yes the e3s suck on roadsnakes...lol

2012 cct sunset red

PreachSF said...

I switched from Dunlop to the Metzler ME880's ... on dry pavement they are ok, but i had more confidence with the dunlops on. Also, the me880's have THE WORST WET TRACTION OF ANY TIRE I HAVE EVER OWNED!!! If it rains at ALL, the rear end just slides around ... very very unnerving. I will never buy a set of metzlers ever again. Back to Dunlop E3!       thats odd i loved the metz in the rain

2012 cct sunset red

I use Dunlops.

50 States in 57 Days

and  like this.

I have run Avons on my bikes and I haven't been disappointed at all.  

It's not the destination, it's not the journey. It's the experiences we learn along the way. That's how I look at a ride.

alby1600 said...

I just put a set of Metzler ME880's on my Kingpin.  So far, they are great!  I have not ridden in the rain or just after a rain to test the wet traction yet.  I will say that the dry traction is WAY better than the Dunlops and the annoying highway speed whobble is gone.  I also plan to have them filled with nitrogen to hopefully keep them more consistantly inflated.  No complaints so far  

2005 Kingpin

AVON Cobras and Dunlop E3's are the only ones currently rated for the Vision and CCT

These two have the proper load capacity rating.

(Car-tires are excluded from my comment above.)

Last update on June 8 2013, 6:20 am by bikerdeano.
Dean
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Sunset Red.
2012 Victory Vegas, Sunset Red and White.

Check out the pressures on my TPMS unit.

After ten minutes... the 37 in the front tire goes up to 41 or 42... and the 39 in the rear has gone as high as 51

It's interesting to watch the tire pressure climb as the day wears on.

My TPMS unit can also tell me what the tire temperature is... and it alarms me with red flashing LED's, when it falls below 35.

Dean
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Sunset Red.
2012 Victory Vegas, Sunset Red and White.
I just put 2200 miles in one week on my CCT . Skyline. Drive top to bottom , BRP top to bottom all 469 miles , the dragon the Cherohal Highway and Moonshiner 28 . Never been a fan of the Dudlaps but I will give them a A- for a score . I pushed my bike all though,those roads down there dragging the boards on more than a few occasions . They are a harder compound than the Pirelli's that I have on my two Harley's . The only time I had a problem was in the rain south of Asheville those Tar Snakes were not fun . Back tire broke loose couple of time . My two friends had Ultra classic both with Dudlaps and they both said they had the same problem.
I emailed Pirell and they don't make both sizes for the CCT , IN the NIGHT DRAGON configuration . They said there working on it. I hope so those tires give you great feed back and are EXCELLENT in the rain .
Take two wheels and call me on Monday

bikerdeano said...

Check out the pressures on my TPMS unit.

After ten minutes... the 37 in the front tire goes up to 41 or 42... and the 39 in the rear has gone as high as 51

It's interesting to watch the tire pressure climb as the day wears on.

My TPMS unit can also tell me what the tire temperature is... and it alarms me with red flashing LED's, when it falls below 35.

Hey Bikerdeano:
If you haven't tried it yet, find a local tire shop that does nitrogen and have them do both your tires.  I did this on my truck as it had 20" tires & the tire pressure monitor drove me nuts with crazy fluctuations in pressure.  As soon as i switched, the problem went away.  The nitrogen gas is much more stable than regular air and is not as effected by hot & cold, so the pressure remains more consistant.  Let us know if it helps... 

2005 Kingpin