TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Buying new XCT

well I have been trying to decide if I wanted to move from a GL1800 to a XCT. I have finally decided that I think I will so I have started price shopping and I ran into something I didn't think would happen. I started talking to all of the dealers within about 2 hours of me which there are only about 5. Anyway I had some good feedback on here about different dealers and one received some pretty good praises. Anyway long story short I just received word from that dealer which basically said thanks for the offer to seel me a bike but they really rathered establishing a long term relationship wiht their buyers and that they would price a bike for me there would be other dealers that would sell it cheaper. So what they told me was that becasue I would not use them for service (their assumption)they didn't want to price a bike out for me. I guess the economic times are much better than I thought they were. Oh well will see what the other dealers say.
Command Master Chief
2012 Sunset Red XCT
Elizabeth City, NC.
MrChips

I'm sorry to hear that the dealer you spoke to didn't want your business. As you said the economic times are looking up if he can turn you away like that.

On to a more positive note I've only ridden a Goldwing once at a bike rally about 4 years ago and it was a very nice ride.

I’ve crossed from a 2003 HD Ultra Classic to a new 2012 Cross Country Tour and I can say it’s a dream to ride. The only complaint I have is that the gearbox has what is called a “Neutral Assist” which is a pain when you are shifting down to go around a corner. As I have a lit touch on the gear change I sometimes find myself going around corners in neutral. I’m getting used to this little ‘Quirk’ though but be aware of it when riding.

Anyway, I’m sure you’ll love the bike.

Congrats.
Cheers Kym

Sydney - AUSTRALIA
Quote:
Originally posted by: mrchips

well I have been trying to decide if I wanted to move from a GL1800 to a XCT. I have finally decided that I think I will so I have started price shopping and I ran into something I didn't think would happen. I started talking to all of the dealers within about 2 hours of me which there are only about 5. Anyway I had some good feedback on here about different dealers and one received some pretty good praises. Anyway long story short I just received word from that dealer which basically said thanks for the offer to seel me a bike but they really rathered establishing a long term relationship wiht their buyers and that they would price a bike for me there would be other dealers that would sell it cheaper. So what they told me was that becasue I would not use them for service (their assumption)they didn't want to price a bike out for me. I guess the economic times are much better than I thought they were. Oh well will see what the other dealers say.

I noticed that there are now more and more dealers here in Charlotts. The guys on I-85 in Lowell are probably the best as they are also an Indian dealership. The guys in Concord are COMPLETELY useless as they change their employees and even managers more than they change their underwear. There is a new dealer I just saw advertising in Pineville who also sells Honda's so they may be your best bet for a trade in.

Not certain I understand your dealer's response. Just because you (may) buy a bike from another dealer does not mean that dealer can't service it. In fact, I think they pretty much HAVE to perform certain services (like recalls) in order to retain their dealership rights. I am from Charlotte but bought my bike from a dealer near our beach property in Myrtle Beach (Coastal Victory). It's about 4 hours from here and they were absolutely FANTASTIC!

I did have my 500 mile service performed by the idiots @ Concord but they basically ripped me off when they offered to match another dealers service and then AFTER the service, they tacked on an extra $80 for the oil itself (which SHOULD have been included in the original $189 price point as it WAS included from the other dealers). I even talked to the service manager about it and got the same answer $265 for the service. They would not even let me see what they were doing to her so I am fairly certain that they simply drove her back, changed the oil and never even bothered to inspect anything. The ONLY thing positive was that I had an "authorized" dealer perform the service so if anything happens later down the road, my warranty will be covered.
Its not just any old victory. It's MY Victory!
2011 Ness Cross Country #120
My experience has been that if you ask 5 dealers you will get at least 2-3 different answers. Nothing at all wrong with a dealer who wants to emulate Nordstroms. You might not want him any more than he wants you.

Lots of folks who buy a bike really cherish a relationship with the dealer. With a Victory it isn't so important since you won't need to go back very often. Also, unless it's a really small dealership, the service or parts manager ( who are often evaluated on volume) may feel a bit different.
2011 Cross Country, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2007 Harley Dyna,2007 2006 , 1976 BMW R75/5, 1971 BSA Lightning, 1947 Harley 45
You might not need to go back for anything but an oil change as far as service but most of us like to add something on to our bike to call it our own. Most of the add ons on my bike were bought from the dealer and I'm sure when I get ready to add more onto my bike it will also come from the dealer the dealer I bought my XC from takes very good care of there costumers. It's usually a good idea to have a re pore with people what ever your endeavors may be. Good luck bike hunting
Keep trying different dealers. You'll find a good one. The one I bought mine from in northern WI., started out good then got a attitude. Found a dealer closer to home, really good guys.
I moved from a GW to my XCT and have not looked back. Matter of fact at the dealer there were two Wings that were traded in on either a Vision or XCT.
baldy, what made you switch? If I can get the numbers to work i will be making the switch very shortly, but still like to see what made others switch to the smooth couch rocket to the vic?
Command Master Chief
2012 Sunset Red XCT
Elizabeth City, NC.
Quote:
Originally posted by: mrchips

baldy, what made you switch? If I can get the numbers to work i will be making the switch very shortly, but still like to see what made others switch to the smooth couch rocket to the vic?

MC, I currently have an GW 1800. It now has a sidecar, but I rode it many miles before it was added.

I love the Wing, like many Hondas it is just completely reliable, unbelievable torque,great handling, etc., etc.

What it lacks, to me, is a certain type of character. Very hard to put in words, but a V Twin just has a certain something. Plus, for me, the Wing is more of a dedicated tourer, whereas the XCT is more of a "convertible". Not sure this will help, wish I could write better.

What really impressed me is that the XC seems every bit as reliable, handles as well, if not better, and looks better (a little bias here perhaps). It doesn't have the torque, but not much does.
2011 Cross Country, 2006 Suzuki Burgman 650, 2007 Harley Dyna,2007 2006 , 1976 BMW R75/5, 1971 BSA Lightning, 1947 Harley 45
mrchips, the main reasons I made the switch from the GW to the XCT was I just couldn't get comfortable on long trips because of the limited leg positions, the seat was uncomfortable. I told the GF riding is suppose to be fun, but after a while it wasn't. Don't get me wrong though I think the Wing is a outstanding bike but, it just wasn't there for me. On my XCT I have a bunch of different leg positions because of the long floor boards plus a more comfortable seat. The GF says she is more comfortable on the XCT plus you can adjust the rear floor boards.