TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Ipod choice

Good evening
Still doing the pro and con on the purchase of a xct.
What is everyone using for their music source...does it have to be an apple product, I plugged my MP3 player (non Apple) into a tour at the local dealer, and although it brought it to life would not play. If it has to be apple which units are you running..I am a mac user and while researching ipods the nano says if you shake it it will change songs...would this be an issue on the road, what with highway bumps and such.
Also a bump from an earlier thread I posted wondering if any of you all are ever removing the lowers in warm weather, and if so what of the ipod and auxilary power connections within the lowers
Thanks for looking
I use the IPod touch with no problems.

I have also used my IPhone's stored music with no problems.

The Victory cable allows for your IPod/IPhone to be charged while playing.
em0200
Member of the Ohio Zoo Crew, a loosely organized Victory riding group in the Akron/Canton area.

2011 Vision Tour with 62,000 miles on her.
I have one of the new nanos with the clip on the back and I just turn off the shuffle shake thing.
04' Victory Vegas
with some red LED's

my bike by chitown_vegas
The shake feature can be disabled. As for choice, it really depends on how you feel you will use the product overall. If the only thing you will be using it for is music, then the iPod Nano is a good choice. If however you want to use it for more than that, I would look into the iPod Touch. Since you are already a Mac user, then these Apple products would work seamlessly for you.

Something that people also overlook is that you can often purchase Refurb units from the Apple online store. As I have said in other posts, I purchase the vast majority of my Apple products for my business in this manner, you save money and there is no physical problems with these units, they look brand new. They also come with the same full warranty, so you can't go wrong. ;-)
I have an ipod touch also and, as said, it works seamlessly with the radio setup...as designed.It worked fine on my 2012 XCT and works perfectly on my Vision
If you use a NON apple product you have to start it and plug it in before you ride and you will have no control over it while you are riding, except volume(I think).
If you are thinking of removing the lowers you could buy a second cable and run it to a ram mount on your bars which would give you the same control you had before depending on whether it was apple/non apple.
Personally, I would go with the apple product for full controlability.
As an aside do NOT even consider using an original ipod. It has a mechanical hard drive and will eventually "disassemble internally" with the vibration.
Good luck with your choices
cheers
Pete
Last update on February 19 2012, 6:54 pm by Vision-in-white.
I have the Nano and it has never changed songs on me. In fact if you shake it hard enough to change songs you better check your bike for damage.
Meep Meep
I've got the touch and it works great!
2010 XC
As an aside do NOT even consider using an original ipod. It has a mechanical hard drive and will eventually "disassemble internally" with the vibration.
[/quote]

OK call me dumb but how do the new ones store their info? You buy them with different size storage such as 16 or 32 GB's. Isn't that the same thing? If not glad to know cause we are still on a 1st generation IPod but I am looking for a reason to upgrade!
Sharon: Co-Owner of 2013 CCT with "Puddlejumper", and his backseat driver.
And ride a 98 V Star 650 Classic.
I'm with Flumpydog. I have a 4th generation nano that i got as a refurb. It works really well, and I have had it for about a year now. I am typing this response on a refurbed ipad2. You can't tell it has been rebuilt, and I saved $100 over buying 1st run. The touch screen only part of the latest nano made me nervous. The one I got will plug right in to your bike. The exhaust is the riding music on my Kingpin though.
Rob
2007 Kingpin Premium
[/quote]
OK call me dumb but how do the new ones store their info? You buy them with different size storage such as 16 or 32 GB's. Isn't that the same thing? If not glad to know cause we are still on a 1st generation IPod but I am looking for a reason to upgrade!
[/quote]

They use flash memory where the information is stored electronically on a circuit board without the need for moving parts.

When I first got my Vision, I made due with the included 1/8" mini stereo plug to connect an MP3 player. It worked fine, except as has been stated, all you can do is control the volume with the handlebar controls. Not long after, I bought the Apple-compatible harness so I could use my iPod Touch. It was a little pricey, but really worth every penney for all of the control over your music and the charging capabilities it provides.
Last update on February 19 2012, 9:32 pm by Nessie044.