TheVOG helps you connect and share with the people in your life.

Gas Prices: It's Going To Be A Bumpy Ride

Watch this segment from this evening's NBC Nightly news and post your comments on how you think record high gas prices will be affecting you over the next few months.

So, when gas nears $5.00 per gallon, how will this affect:

1) You as a Rider;

2) You as an owner/driver of a car;

3) Possible family vacations;

4) The soon to come higher shipment price to retailers to deliver products and how will they affect the consumer's purchase price.

5) Will high gas prices affect your decision whether or not to purchase a new bike?

6) Will low gas sippers and smaller entry bikes sales surge when the price rises?

7) And most importantly, how will this affect your job?

From NBC News:

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments and Opinions Welcomed. Please feel free to speak your mind.
Last update on February 13 2012, 9:32 am by Andy.
Founder Of The VOG
Quote:
Originally posted by: Andy

Watch this segment from this evening's NBC Nightly news and post your comments on how you think record high gas prices will be affecting you over the next few months.

So, when gas nears $5.00 per gallon, how will this affect:

1) You as a Rider;
Gas is $3.29 in my area right now.
When our gas gets as expensive as it is in Europe (more than double ours), then I'll start complaining.

2) You as an owner/driver of a car;
No effect, I'm retired and don't use my car for much

3) Possible family vacations;
No effect

4) The soon to come higher shipment price to retailers to deliver products and how will they affect the consumer's purchase price.
1-2% price increases across the board, no real effect.

5) Will high gas prices affect your decision whether or not to purchase a new bike?
This is my last motorcycle.

6) Will low gas sippers and smaller entry bikes sales surge when the price rises?
No.
The last time gas prices spiked, the sales of scooters didn't jump proportionally.
Autos get 40+ MPG now, and the side benefit might be greater acceptance of electric vehicles.

7) And most importantly, how will this affect your job?
Ford retiree, and they are well positioned for a future of fuel sipping cars and electric vehicles

Comments and Opinions Welcomed. Please feel free to speak your mind.
Member of the Ohio Zoo Crew, a loosely organized Victory riding group in the Akron/Canton area.

2011 Vision Tour with 74,000 miles on her riding through 49 States and 8 Canadian Provinces.
More time on two wheels less in the Jeep.
1979 Triumph Bonnieville sport
2007 Triumph America Drowned Aug 28 2011
2008 Victory Vision Tour Premium Classic Drowned Aug 28 2011
All Black
2011 Vision Tour Silver and Black
More bike riding, less vacations, less travel, less everything. Prices on consumer goods is going be very high. The economy is gonna suffer big time. Businesses won't be able to raise prices to cover the added expense without losing the work and they won't be able to take on new workers because of the additional expenses in fuel, equipment and sustainable products.

I really hate being compared to Europe. We are not Europe and should not be compared to Europe. Much of the reason their fuel is so high is because of taxes to support their government.

I don't see it helping any part of our economy. My job is already questionable so we'll see.

But one thing I know for sure...the high prices we face are the fault of the Obama Administration and Congress. After 3+ years they own it.
Gas does not control my life. If I need I buy it. Lucky for me I live 2 blocks from work and in the summer I ride my bicycle to work and I walk to work in snowstorms.

Of course we have a couple of people like clif02 that believe gas is something the world owes Americans. Both I them live closer to work than me and both drive to work every day. Of course they are the first to complain about the price of gas.
How many Americans do each of us know that will go buy a $40,000 hybrid to try and save gas money? They would never think to commute with others. They have many excuses why they can't. These American are no different than the Americans that buy 4x4 SUVs so they can get to work when it snows (so they say) but then they call saying they won't be in cause their children are home from school?
I believe it's safe to assume clif02 has never lived in another country. When I was in Spain in '73-'74 gas was $3 a gallon and America was going through the gas shortage. Of course other countries owned economy cars, used mass transit and even bicycles.
Sit outside a parking lot in America and watch cars drive around until they find a place close so they don't have to walk. Watch how many Americans comp[lain about high gas prices then sit through a drive through window line. O.o
My 2006 Ranger has 35,000 miles and my 2009 Vision has 40,000 miles. I have no need to change. If Americans would save gas so it sits in the tanks then and only then will the price stabilize. It's up to each one of us to change not to make excuses or find fault.
Freedom thru Victory
Sorry Andy but I'm not getting any video out of your post so just some random thoughts on the subject. One, I don't believe everything I see on the news. Network or cable news broadcasting today has a vested interest in selling outrage. Seeing political bias on Fox or MSNBC is pretty easy, but a similar lack of objectivity can be seen on the other channels in less political stories. For instance, our lifestyle is what it is, right or wrong so $5 a gallon gas is scary, it will mean a new recession. So if a newscaster presents this scenario as a certainty such an alarming presentation will most likely be rewarded with increased ratings. A story like " you know some crap could go down in Iran and gas prices will skyrocket, or maybe not and our recent increases in production will keep prices stable"...that's just not as compelling a newscast.
I do believe high prices is possible and I do believe that when we went over 4 bucks in '08 that's what triggered the collapse of our house of cards. But I also don't think it's certain and with the higher mpg cars being sold now combined with higher domestic production low prices could help us get from mild recovery back to boom recovery.
100" Kingpin, 115 hp 124 tq
110" Vision, 128 hp 130 tq
Quoting Biggie:

No.
The last time gas prices spiked, the sales of scooters didn't jump proportionally.

Actually small bike and scooter sales jump tremendously. My ex was learning how to ride back then and want a Honda Rebel. None could be found anywhere. We search all the main stream companies for a small bike and the we ended up with a UM 250.

The reason you didnt see a huge jump was because there were no products available. There was a waiting list for the Ninja 250 that was 20 deep at Seminole Honda. Then by the time product finally made it here gas prices had started to drop and with it the sales.

I think you will probably see Honda bring over some of their European models for this next spike...

As far as Andy's question, this really doesnt effect me. But if it looks like it going to remain high I might switch the company vehicles to mid size trucks.
^ That post almost made it sound like I knew what I was talking about.

A good rider can overcome marginal equipment. However, even the best equipment can't overcome a marginal rider.
Quote:
Originally posted by: RedRyder

Gas does not control my life. If I need I buy it. Lucky for me I live 2 blocks from work and in the summer I ride my bicycle to work and I walk to work in snowstorms.

Of course we have a couple of people like clif02 that believe gas is something the world owes Americans. Both I them live closer to work than me and both drive to work every day. Of course they are the first to complain about the price of gas.
How many Americans do each of us know that will go buy a $40,000 hybrid to try and save gas money? They would never think to commute with others. They have many excuses why they can't. These American are no different than the Americans that buy 4x4 SUVs so they can get to work when it snows (so they say) but then they call saying they won't be in cause their children are home from school?
I believe it's safe to assume clif02 has never lived in another country. When I was in Spain in '73-'74 gas was $3 a gallon and America was going through the gas shortage. Of course other countries owned economy cars, used mass transit and even bicycles.
Sit outside a parking lot in America and watch cars drive around until they find a place close so they don't have to walk. Watch how many Americans comp[lain about high gas prices then sit through a drive through window line. O.o
My 2006 Ranger has 35,000 miles and my 2009 Vision has 40,000 miles. I have no need to change. If Americans would save gas so it sits in the tanks then and only then will the price stabilize. It's up to each one of us to change not to make excuses or find fault.

RedRyder, I think you are pretty much wrong about me on all counts. You see never ASSUME. To begin with I don't think anyone owes us anything but I do feel we could do a much better job of enacting and implementing sound energy policy. And our inaction on this will costs the economy down the road because our economy is energy dependent.

You compare us to Europe but the fact is America is much larger and far more spread out than Europe. If you compare major metropolitan centers you would be far more accurate but comparing rural America to Europe in general is skewing the average. Germany isn't as big as one of our larger states.

I have lived abroad extensively, perhaps more than you. From 1979 to 1981 I lived in South Korea. From 1982 to 1985 I lived in Germany and traveled Europe extensively...Austria, France, Spain, Belgium. I've been back since then and hit Italy and Great Britain. I have also been to Panama, Puerto Rico and Honduras for extended periods. Spent alot of time in the Middle East as well.

I live 18 miles from work and ride my motorcycle alot. My 2000 Ford Ranger with the 4 banger gets good milage so when the weather is rough I use that. There is no one in my neighborhood or that lives close that I could commute with. I would use more gas trying to carpool than going on my own. I would love to be able to ride a bicycle to work but I would be risking my life greatly as there is no bike trails and inadequate bike lanes to do so here. I used to ride a bike to work a great deal when i lived in Germany.

I don't circle the parking lot looking for a parking place nor do I use drive thru windows...hate em. I keep my vehicles in top notch mecahnical condition so I don't waste gas and i do not sit my vehicles at idle for long periods of time.

I just think as a country we could do a much better job in the energy sector, both in regards to renewable energy and oil. We are going to need to do much better if we are going to have an economy that thrives.

So there ya go Mr. RedRyder, and while gas does not control your life it will have a huge influence on how we as Americans conduct our lives. It's the economy...
Last update on February 13 2012, 9:46 am by clif02.
Andy if this belongs in a different category ie Political thread feel free to move it.

Notably the report indicates that we are once again being held hostage by the Middle East. I am old enough to remember the Gas Lines, Gas Shortages and Skyrocketing prices in the early 1970's. As a result the Department of Energy was created to guarantee that it would never happen again. Currently the DOE has over 16,000 Federal employees and over 100,000 Direct Contractors with a Budget over 26,000,000,000.00 (Billion) dollars annually. After nearly 40 years this Department has accomplished next to nothing other than create more Federal Employees with lucrative Pension Plans. Their most identifiable project touted by the administration has been Solyndra. In the Last 3&1/2 years oil drilling approvals have been reduced over 60% and we have not built a New Oil Refinery in 30 years. Ethynol costs twice as much to produce than a gallon of gasoline requiring the use of 2000 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of ethynol. It's use of corn has driven the cost of meat and dairy products through the roof. A staple like butter has jumped to nearly $4.00 a pound from around $1.79 in less than 2 years. Milk has almost doubled in price. Thank You DOE! Yet we are like lambs being led to slaughter with increasing tax proposals, bailouts of the financial and automotive industries, continuous new entitlement programs as a method of vote getting, and the stripping of our rights and liberty. You would think that since I receive social security I would applaud all of the government handouts. I can assure you I DO NOT! I fought in Vietnam in the Marine Corps and am Sickened by what I see as the agenda and entitlement mentality of the 60's protestors who have come of age and are now controlling this country. This country as we know it is on the precipice of being totally destroyed. My fear is that we are headed towards a Class Revolution (Yes with weapons)as a result of the continuous attempts to foment anger and devisiveness by beaurocrats constantyly spewing Class Warfare rhetoric.
Quote:
Originally posted by: KrossRhoades2011

Andy if this belongs in a different category ie Political thread feel free to move it.

Notably the report indicates that we are once again being held hostage by the Middle East. I am old enough to remember the Gas Lines, Gas Shortages and Skyrocketing prices in the early 1970's. As a result the Department of Energy was created to guarantee that it would never happen again. Currently the DOE has over 16,000 Federal employees and over 100,000 Direct Contractors with a Budget over 26,000,000,000.00 (Billion) dollars annually. After nearly 40 years this Department has accomplished next to nothing other than create more Federal Employees with lucrative Pension Plans. Their most identifiable project touted by the administration has been Solyndra. In the Last 3&1/2 years oil drilling approvals have been reduced over 60% and we have not built a New Oil Refinery in 30 years. Ethynol costs twice as much to produce than a gallon of gasoline requiring the use of 2000 gallons of water to produce 1 gallon of ethynol. It's use of corn has driven the cost of meat and dairy products through the roof. A staple like butter has jumped to nearly $4.00 a pound from around $1.79 in less than 2 years. Milk has almost doubled in price. Thank You DOE! Yet we are like lambs being led to slaughter with increasing tax proposals, bailouts of the financial and automotive industries, continuous new entitlement programs as a method of vote getting, and the stripping of our rights and liberty. You would think that since I receive social security I would applaud all of the government handouts. I can assure you I DO NOT! I fought in Vietnam in the Marine Corps and am Sickened by what I see as the agenda and entitlement mentality of the 60's protestors who have come of age and are now controlling this country. This country as we know it is on the precipice of being totally destroyed. My fear is that we are headed towards a Class Revolution (Yes with weapons)as a result of the continuous attempts to foment anger and devisiveness by beaurocrats constantyly spewing Class Warfare rhetoric.

Your info on ethanol is all wrong and I have to ask, if you hate your social security so much do you send the money back?
100" Kingpin, 115 hp 124 tq
110" Vision, 128 hp 130 tq